Sommelier is a French word, which means in today’s translation, a wine steward. Hotels and restaurants have sommeliers creating the wine lists, ordering the wine, in charge of wine storage and assisting diners in selecting the perfect wine to pair with their food. Sommelier jobs are reserved for persons with distinctive tastes and a great deal of training.For all the expertise that goes into sommelier jobs, the salary is quite lucrative, ranging from as little as $20,000 to as much as $85,000. This is a very good paying opportunity. Still, there are other great jobs. See the list below. These are position that hotels fill every day.
• Hotel General Manager is the highest paid position, earning up to $149,456. The general manager’s responsibilities are directing the hotel’s operations. He or she creates standards for personnel and their performance. They ensure service to patrons is at the highest standard. They set room rates, select advertising and publicity. It’s their job to make sure the hotel is making a profit at all times. They are also responsible for food selection. Generally anyone applying for this position must have at least 2 years prior, related experience.
• The Meeting and Convention Planner’s job is to create the perfect meeting environment for each group. That includes arranging everything the group needs from tables and chairs, microphones, all equipment needs, food and beverages, transportation and the facilities for the engagement. They are also responsible for the budget and the notification or advertisement of the engagement. This hospitality position pays up to $60,245.
• Concierge is another French word meaning to represent the hotel. In most hotels he or she has additional responsibilities. The concierge offers services to guests such as providing maps or directions around town as well as obtains tickets to events or tours. They also screen visitors and accept packages for hotel residents. These positions pay up to $16,262 and depending on the hotel may pay even more.
• The Executive Chef is a highly trained individual, so naturally they command a generous salary of up to $46,206. Usually at least 4 years similar experience is needed to apply for this position. He or she oversees the kitchen, creates the menu and special dishes, manages and trains the restaurant staff and determines food needs based on rate of consumption.
• The Gaming Dealer is responsible for operating gaming tables for games like blackjack, craps and roulette. You need at least a high school diploma and some experience. The pay averages around $14,340.
The hospitality industry has many jobs that are not listed above in addition to the ones that were listed and described. Some require years of training, others do not. For those seeking a new position, the hospitality industry is a great place to begin your search. The income possibilities could be quite generous and the benefits are too.